Thursday, July 4, 2013

Salt Dough Handprint Stones

Happy July 4th everyone! Yesterday I did this awesome hand print stone and I couldn't wait to share it with you all!

So last year I saw this and instantly wanted to do it for my nieces. What a creative and fun way to get an imprint of their little hands that can be kept as a keepsake over the years! 


What you will need to do this:

  • 1 cup of salt
  • 1 cup of flour
  • 1/2 cup warm water
  • Bowl
  • Mixing spoon
  • Small bowl (like for cereal) 
  • Plate
  • Parchment paper
  • Cookie sheet
  • Paint 
  • Paint brushes



 Mix together all your ingredients and knead it until it is smooth and stretchy.



 Making sure that the dough is stretchy is very important otherwise the dough remains sticky and granular from the salt. If after this the dough is still too sticky add just a touch more of flour. If it is too dry and crumbly then add just a touch of water. This part was a little tricky for me and took trial and error before I got it the way I wanted it.

After the dough is kneaded and the right consistency I used  a bowl to get the circular shape and then transferred it to a plate the flatten it out some and let the girls put their hand prints on it.

 
 The next part was a little tricky I had to transfer them from the plates to the cookie sheet and I kept losing the hand print and circle in the process. In the end I had the girls just do their hand prints on the dough on the actual cookie sheet. 



Next just bake them in your oven at 200 degrees for 3 hours. If the backs are still a little doughy after 3 hours just flip them over and bake for another 2 hours.

NOTE: I didn't have parchment paper on hand so I just baked them on the cookie sheet without it. They came out fine in the end. It did take a little longer than originally stated but it still worked. 


Last let them sit for a day and come back the next and paint them! The girls loved this project and really liked showing their parents their hand prints. Could be a great gift to parents for birthdays, holidays, or even any day!  






If you have any questions or need any help feel free to ask.


No comments:

Post a Comment