Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Turning broken crayons into new crayons

My nieces have really wanted to take their old broken crayons and melt them and turn them into fun shapes, so today I finally got some little heart shaped tins and we took their old crayons and turn them into fun new ones.


All you need for this is:

  • Crayons
  • molds/tins
  • cookie tray



I picked up these little tins at a dollar store  they were perfect for the job and I got like 20 for a $1.00 That's always a plus!


Take your broken crayons and peel any paper off of them. My nieces had already torn the paper of their crayons but after reading some different ways of doing this I read if you soak your crayons in cold water for a little bit the paper will come right off making it much easier than peeling it. 


Next fill your molds/tins with the crayons. I let the girls each fill their own they really enjoyed it because they got to pick their favorite colors to put in their tin.


Next you put your crayons in the oven on 230 degrees for put them on for 15-20 minutes. After 15 minutes I checked on mine and they still needed some time so I put them back in for 5 minutes. Some of the crayons weren't still completely melted but I didn't want to keep them in any longer because I read that if you kept them in too long the colors would completely mix. 


Wait about 30 minutes for them to be completely dry and they are ready to color with!


These were super easy to do and it's a great way to recycle those old crayons instead of throwing them out. 

If you have any questions or need any help feel free to ask.


No comments:

Post a Comment